You know the benefits of exercise. Staying active improves your physical, mental, and spiritual health. It can help you reduce stress, sleep better, and improve your mood, all important factors as you plan your wedding. But if you haven’t been exercising, starting a new routine can be hard. So how do you get yourself motivated to begin? Here are five ways you can motivate yourself to get moving:
1) Buddy Up: One of the best ways to start an exercise program is to invite someone to join you. Ask a relative, bridesmaid, or someone else you enjoy spending time with to be your exercise buddy. Each of you can motivate the other to beginning and sticking with a weekly regimen. It’s a lot more fun when you have a friend to go with and it gives you something to look forward to. It can also make it feel less like exercise and more like a social visit.
2) Dance the Night Away: What better way to get in shape than to learn some dance moves for your wedding? And yes, dancing is a great workout. Grab your fiance and sign up for dance classes together! Whether you choose to learn the Waltz, Salsa, or Swing, not only will you be exercising, you will be able to show off your dance skills at your wedding. Now that’s pretty motivating!
3) The Earlier the Better: If you have control over the timing of your new exercise routine, choose to start earlier in the day. Between work, life, and planning your wedding, by the end of the day, you’re probably pooped out. Exercising first thing in the morning, on the other hand, helps you reap the benefits of physical activity throughout the day. That may mean more energy, better ability to deal with stress, and improved mood. It also means you’ll be less likely to push it off because you’re too tired or busy.
4) Choose Your Activity Wisely: This may seem obvious, but pick a type of exercise you actually enjoy doing. Exercise is not limited to jogging or a gym. It can be a sport or activity you’ve always wanted to try or know you enjoyed in the past. From swimming and cycling to ice skating and basketball, there are countless activities to choose from that are beneficial for your health and fun to participate in. The more enjoyable the type of exercise, the better follow through you’ll have and the more motivated you will be.
5) Go Shopping: Who doesn’t like something new every once in a while? Here’s your chance to splurge a bit. Committed to going to the gym three times a week? Go ahead and buy new workout clothes or a pair of shoes. Taking on a new sport? Buy new roller blades, a tennis racket, or a swimsuit to help inspire you. Sometimes you just need to take that first step to get yourself into the groove of something new. Buying an item related to your sport shows your commitment and motivation. Plus, you have the added bonus of looking and feeling good with your new gear. And looking and feeling good usually means accomplishing more towards your success.